Tip: Whether you're presenting your line by email or snail mail, I have a few formulas I advise clients on, but they all boil down to this:
- Keep it short and memorable.
- Tell your story in a few sentences.
- Say something personal about the retailer or their line.
- Attach a few of your best photos/samples.
- Tell them you'll follow up, and keep your promise!
Why: No one has time for lengthy emails. Retailers are often skimming submission emails so you want to catch their eye and stay in their memory. (I glaze over if I see big long paragraphs of an origin story - I love that you love what you do, but keep it quick!)
How: Start with the bullet points above as a guide, write everything you want to share and edit, edit, edit down to the essentials. Your email should fit on a page without having to scroll down.